Mission, vision and ethos
A few years later, several teachers who were Christian Scientists established Fan Court, a boys’ preparatory school in Chertsey. They chose ‘Be Strong’ as the school motto.
An early Fan Court headmaster said: ‘We like to think of our boys as going out into the world knowing themselves greatly beloved of God, unafraid, at peace with themselves and their neighbours, and spiritually strong.'
The school has no formal connection with the Christian Science church. Claremont Fan Court School is owned by a company limited by guarantee and registered with the charity commission. The governors are the trustees.
Our mission guides the ethos of the school and is a primary document for all who work at the school.
- To provide an environment where the God-given potential of every individual is recognised and valued. With this recognition comes the expectation of high personal achievement and moral standards and a developing awareness of our individual responsibility to each other and our world.
- To maintain a broad and forward-looking curriculum in which pupils are encouraged to think independently to meet the demands of a rapidly changing world.
- To encourage our pupils to awaken to all that is good and true around and within them in their spiritual journey of self- discovery.
- To equip our pupils with a strong set of values for future decision making.
- The following values are fundamental to everything we do: courtesy, respect, trust, moral integrity, self-discipline, love for God and man
- To promote the role of the family by developing a strong interaction with the home.
In accordance with our mission, Claremont Fan Court will develop individuals who are outstanding citizens, aware of their responsibility to others and contribute positively to global society.
We will achieve this by being a high quality school of choice where girls and boys achieve more than they think is possible.
Goodness underpins this school. Teachers, staff, pupils and their families are expected to support and extend the atmosphere of respect, courtesy, the love of learning and the value of friendship that is held dear at Claremont Fan Court School. This peaceful and purposeful intent extends throughout every lesson and into the pastoral and co-curricular activities we offer.
Children leave Claremont Fan Court School prepared for university. They are confident, contributing and caring members of the global community and they have embraced the challenge of education. They will have gained the values that will equip them to make a positive contribution and they will be a force for good in the world.
We believe in the importance of celebrating diversity and enabling individuals to be confident in being themselves and proud of their differences. We welcome pupils of all faiths (and none), races, genders and sexual orientation. Our curriculum and pastoral care are shaped to educate our pupils and ourselves in understanding history, challenging prejudice and creating talented, open-minded leaders and thinkers. We are blessed with historic setting and colleagues that inspire a love for learning and a respect for each other. We believe in the importance of inspiring altruism for others, and an appreciation that it is our duty to use charity and community partnership as opportunities to enhance the lives and learning of others and to educate ourselves.
We are proud of the fact that our child has been at Claremont Fan Court School and have no hesitation in highly recommending the school. I believe it is one of the only schools in the area that is true to its convictions and really does strive to deliver, happy, well educated, well-mannered and confident young people into society. You have certainly helped us achieve that with our child.